The Powerful Health Benefits of Broccoli
The inclusion of broccoli in our Smart Food formulation was an easy choice for us at Whole Supp. There is a wealth of powerful antioxidant compounds within broccoli - these include sulforaphane, polyphenols, glucosinolates, and the mineral selenium (1). Along with its antioxidant powers broccoli also contains high amounts of vitamin C, vitamin K & fibre, and is a great source of the eye health promoting carotenoids.
The mineral selenium has many beneficial properties. Selenium has an antioxidant effect on the body, and it is also an important catalyst in the production of the active thyroid hormone in the body (2). Selenium intake is needed for the proper functioning of the immune system and is linked to overall increased health (2). This incredible mineral can be found in very useful quantities in broccoli - 4% of recommended daily intake in every cupful. Top tip: We can gain 20% of our total recommended selenium intake in one serving of Whole Supp alone.
Broccoli is an excellent source of vitamin C and in just half a cup you can gain almost 70% of your daily recommended intake (3). In fact, broccoli has almost 1.7 times the amount of vitamin C available in the same quantity of oranges (4). Vitamin C is another powerful antioxidant that can help your body to fight inflammation, provides benefits to our immune system and helps it fight infection (5). Previous studies have even shown that vitamin C may shorten the time it takes for a wound to heal (6).
It is suggested that sulforaphane may have an anti-cancer effect when consumed through broccoli. The rationale for the anti-cancer effect through the consumption of sulforaphane from cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli is twofold. Sulforaphane, among other isothiocyanates, arises from the breakdown of glucosinolates when broccoli has been chewed and brought into contact with enzymes in the mouth (7). Isothiocyanates are potent inducers of processes within cells that help to protect against toxicity from carcinogens (8). They also inhibit mitosis from occurring in human tumour cells (7). These are exciting new discoveries which demonstrate the power of the plant!
Broccoli has a vast number of health benefits that your body can utilise long past the time you first eat this green vegetable. In every serving of Whole Supp there is the equivalent of 40g of fresh broccoli (almost half a cup). You can begin reaping the benefits outlined above from our Smart Food formulation too, all you have to do is shake, sip and you’re on your way!
- An overview of health-promoting compounds of broccoli (Brassica oleracea var. italica) and the effect of processing - Andrea Mahn, Alejandro Reyes, 2012 (sagepub.com)
- Rayman MP: The importance of selenium to human health. Lancet 356, 233-241 | Request PDF (researchgate.net)
- Broccoli 101: Nutrition Facts and Health Benefits (healthline.com)
- Vitamin C in Broccoli (and How it Compares to Oranges) (healwithfood.org)
- 7 Impressive Benefits of Vitamin C Supplements (healthline.com)
- ASCORBIC ACID SUPPLEMENTATION IN THE TREATMENT OF PRESSURE-SORES - The Lancet
- Glucosinolates: Bioavailability and Importance to Health | Request PDF (researchgate.net)
- Role of phase 2 enzyme induction in chemoprotection by dithiolethiones - PubMed (nih.gov)